Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Can you O.D. on Bleach?

I'm cleaning an old house and as I've mentioned, it's dirty and mildewy. Therefore, bleach is my friend. Well, not really my friend, but a must.
I am finding that a dirty bathroom floor covered in hairspray is not easy to clean. Spraying with a bleach cleanser and letting it set seems to do the trick. It does require, however, me on my hands and knees scrubbing and inhaling the lovely fumes.
My nose may be damaged for life. I have a bleach headache and my manicure is shot. Does anyone deserve spending the last few days in Hawaii in a Waikiki hotel more than me?  Maybe, but I'm right up there in the most deserving.
The other thing I'm finding is that girls are pigs. At least my girl is. I haven't deep cleaned her room in the four years she's been here. Big mistake. Did you know baseboards can be so dirty they require that same bleach cleanser and the same method of letting it sit for a while? What toxic waste was in the air that caked the dirt and dog hair on every surface? I thought my teenage boy was a pig when he was home, but she gives him a run for his money.
I'm finishing up cleaning out the fridge and pantry by throwing things together. Tonight it's ham and potato soup. It's Paula Deen's recipe and you KNOW that's good. That's a woman after my own heart. It got rid of the leftover ham, sour cream, butter and half and half. All I had to buy was a couple of potatoes.
My husband is pulling more and more air conditioners out of the house. No AC along with my forty something hormones does not equal happiness. After he pulls the next one, I may be finished cooking until we are in Rhode Island.
So, can you O.D. on bleach? I'm not sure; I'll let you know if I recover from the sinus burn and headache.
For now, I'm off to eat potato and ham soup with sour cream and butter in it. It cures what ails you.

The Lady & Sons, Too! Potato and Ham Soup



Ingredients
5 lbs baking potaotes, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 thick slide of cooked ham, cut into small pieces (not country ham, which is too salty)
1/2 Cup (1 stick) butter
Salt and Pepper
1 Cup half and half
1/2 Cup sour cream


Directions
Place the potaotes in a large pot and add enough water to just cover the potatoes (too much water will make the soup too thin). Cover and bring to a boil, then uncover and cook over medium-high heat for 20 minutes. Reduce the heat and add the ham and butter. Season wtih salt and pepper to taste. Over low heat, add the half and half and sour cream; keep warm over low heat until serving time.


I had to cut the recipe down because I only kept one small pot. I miss my dutch oven. It's still yummy.

4 comments:

Lynn said...

I'm following you from the Over 40 Bloggers group. Love your blog! Hawaii to Rhode Island...that will definitely be a transition. We moved from Minnesota to Florida...also a transition.
Totally agree about the teenage girls thing. Ugh! I have company arriving in three days and have been cleaning like crazy and the girls' room, by far, is the worst.
Enjoy your soup! :)
Lynn
www.bradybunchplus1.blogspot.com

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

Just don't mix the bleach with Comet (or probably not with anything else)...my mom did that once and was rewarded with a trip to the emergency room! Nothing like bleach...I break it out when there's a stomach virus in the house or when like you, I'm deep deep cleaning. Nothing lives through bleach. My girls rooms are atrocious as well. Since we're not moving any time soon, I just shut the doors.

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

1) Yes, girls are pigs.
2) I too have damaged sinuses from bleach. The good news is that when other people are in situations that cause nose wrinkling and distressed, "What's that smell?" I can't smell a thing!
3) No, you can not OD on the beach but I sure would like to try!
4) There is no beach within 600 miles or so of my home so you'll have to do it for me. Have fun!

Karla @ {The Classy Woman} said...

Looks like a fabulous recipe-love Paula Deen! :)

Just be careful, chlorine bleach is one of the most toxic chemicals-especially for anyone who is pregnant. If you must use it, wear a mask and open all the windows and doors. Hubby had to clean something with bleach once and even when he was outdoors he wore a respirator and goggles just to be safe. LOL

Vinegar is a great natural solution for mildew, just let it sit for a little while. It's strong smelling but won't kill off brain cells. Borax and tea tree oils are also good. One of my favorite products that is as effective as bleach and lysol (99.9% effective on viruses, flu,staph etc) is Seventh Generation's Disinfecting Multi-surface spray which is completely safe and eco-friendly too. The active ingredient is Thymol which is thyme ,oil, smells so much better and costs around $2.99 at Target.

I hope that helps you work through the mess safely. Good luck!

Warmly,
Karla

Followers