Friday, June 18, 2010

Book Review

As I've mentioned before, I am participating in the Entertainment Weekly Reading Challenge that I read about on Booking Mama's Blog.
I just finished my first book on this list.

The Invisible Bridge, by Julie Orringer.
This is not a book I would have chosen for myself. I read a lot of fluff, a lot of chick literature.
I don't read many books where the main character is a man. I read this book and followed this story through his eyes.
Andras Levi is a young Jewish man from Hungary who leaves home to study architecture in France. The year is 1937 and the war in Europe is building.  I followed Andras through two years of school, going home to Hungary, starting a family and finally being shipped off to represent a side in the war that despises his kind. It is a heart wrenching story that made me laugh, cry and scared for his future as well as the future of his family.
From the start of this book, I was engrossed. I couldn't wait to have time to read more. I remember thinking several times... "this can't end well" 
It's a great book. I highly recommend it and I'm so glad I stepped out of my comfort zone to read it.

2 comments:

Julie P. said...

I'm reading this one right now and loving it. I as a little intimidated by the size and subject matter, but I quickly became engrossed.

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

I didn't have this as one of my books on the list to start with, but I'll certainly check it out now :) I decided to begin my list with The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest..so I'm having to read the first two in the trilogy before I can start it. They are really good so far as well :)

Followers