Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Senses of Winter/Project 365

My first warning about last night and today's snow storm was on Monday when the clinic called me to reschedule today's appointment. Apparently they cancel appointments when there is a snow storm in the forecast!
I decided to be proactive myself and go to the commissary yesterday and stock up on the essentials. I shouldn't have been surprised to see the place was full, but I was. I'm still a winter rookie, but I'm getting there.
We woke up to this today.

My fabulous husband did his thing and cleared the sidewalk.
He even cleared a path on the back patio for a certain little dog so her belly wouldn't drag through the snow.


As you can see, the dog only made it to the end of the cleared path to do her business.


A wet cold belly is not something she wants to experience.

Just a few minutes ago, I took this photo. As you can see the path is covered again. Someone needs to get his shovel out.

This photo is the one I'm going to use to explain my post title, the senses of winter. First, the sounds of winter. I do love the sounds. It's quiet. I can hear the wind blowing through the trees. My wind chimes clank occasionally and I can hear the distant fog horn. Other than that, it's silent. I do love that.
The smells of winter. Something about the snow falling smells clean to me. My house smells warm and delicious. I usually have something cooking on the stove, or baking in the oven. I do love the smell of home in winter.
The sights of winter need no explanation. I think this part of snow is beautiful.  I don't like it when the plows have stacked piles of dirty snow along the road. I don't like what it does to my car but I do love the fresh snowfall. But, like I said, I'm a rookie.

5 comments:

Tina said...

Ok..send me some of that snow! What's funny is, we were predicted to get 4 - 6 inches and my daughters in-laws were predicted 1-3 inches. We got nothing, barely an inch, and they got 8-10 inches! Funny how the weather drastically changes so fast! But our ice was still pretty and we still had to shovel the walk! :-)
Love your photos!

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

Holy Smokes, Rookie! I won't show my Reagan your pictures...she was sooooo hoping for snow. We only got some slushy stuff...kept us out of school for the morning but was not fun at all :(

Emily said...

Haha, we had to do the same thing for my dog! I'm a winter rookie too, and I've been really enjoying the snow so far.. everybody promises me that I won't continue to love it for long though.

Abby @ They Lend Me Their Hearts said...

It's snowing like crazy here in MN right now. I agree with the winter smells thing, the apple/cinnamon candles burning, the fresh crisp air... and then the boogers in your nose freeze and it's not so fun anymore :o)

So I should revise, I like the smells of a warm, 30-ish degree snowy day.

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

I wish I were a rookie too.

Followers