Monday, January 10, 2011

Project 365!/Farmgirl's Chicken and Dumplings

Yesterday's photo.

This was taken yesterday afternoon, after we'd had about two inches of snow fall the night before. It was 29 degrees outside with a windchill of 19 degrees. Yes, those are sailboats in the water. BRRRRRR. Those are some die hard sailors.
Today's photo:


Progress made so far on the project. Yes, it's painful. No, it's not finished.

Tonight's meal was The Farmgirl's Chicken and Dumplings from the Gooseberry Patch's Slow Cookers, Casseroles and Skillets.
You take 1 lb of boneless, skinless chicken breasts and cube them.
Mix in one 16 oz bag of frozen mixed vegtables.

Dice an onion and throw them all in a crockpot.

Add 2 1/2 cups of chicken broth.

You're supposed to cook this on high for two hours then mix your dumplings and add them to cook another 30 minutes. However, at the end of two hours, it just didn't look right to me. It didn't look cooked enough, if that makes sense. The broth was thin, the onions weren't cooked well and it just didn't taste done. So, I transferred it to a pot on my stove. I guess those old southern chicken and dumplings were haunting me and I had to bend to the pressure. I cooked it a while on the stove and finished it there.

I forgot to take more photos because I was stressed at this point and worried that I had ruined the dish.
I mixed more broth with bisquick and added spoonfuls of the dough mixture on top of the pot of chicken and veggies. I cooked them for another 30 minutes and served.
The verdict was two thumb's up. I was amazed that Alex had never even heard of chicken and dumplings. Poor yankee kid. He needs more southern food, obviously. Nick LOVED them. Next time, I will cook them a little longer in the slow cooker and try to leave it there. Once the dumplings were added, the broth thickened right up and it was very lovely. I did add salt and pepper. Next time I will add some fresh herbs I think. Parsley for sure.
Here is the recipe.

Farmgirl's Chicken and Dumplings, GBP Slow Cookers, Casseroles and Skillets
Submitted by Vickie Chisom, Hardy, VA
Ingredients
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
16 oz pkg frozen mixed vegetables
1 onion, diced
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth, divided
1 1/2 cups buttermilk biscuit baking mix
Directions
Combine chicken, vegetables and onion in a slow cooker. Set aside 1/2 cup plus 1tablespoon broth; pour remaining broth into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high setting for 2 hours. Stir biscuit mix with reserved broth until moistened. Drop by tablespoonfuls over hot chicken and vegetables. Cover and cook on high setting for 10 minutes; uncover. Cook for an additonal 20 minutes, until dumplings are done. Serves 4 to 6.



1 comment:

Emily said...

Oh man.. you have not LIVED until you've tasted chicken and dumplin's!! I'm glad you were able to remedy that crime against nature for Alex. :) I'm going to have to try this recipe too! It's a little different from the recipe I grew up eating.

Followers