Friday, August 20, 2010

Baseball, Football, and Mexican Layer Dip

What a combination!
Last night we drove up north of Providence to attend the Pawtucket Red Sox baseball game. They are doing very well this season and the best seats were only $11.00 per ticket so it was a no brainer!

 Unfortunately, our Sox lost this game.  We still enjoyed ourselves. We had amazing hot dogs, cheese fries and beer. I do love ballpark food. Who am I kidding? I love all food!

They had a vendor selling "fried dough"  No, I'm not kidding. It smelled heavenly. I wanted so badly for Callie to go get one of these carb laden wonders, but alas, I still have not experienced this version of fried dough. I did see one child with a plate of it and it resembled a funnel cake made the lazy way. It was a flat piece of golden fried dough. She then took it over to the condiment table and loaded it with powdered sugar and cinnamon. Be still my heart!


Tonight we have our first social with Nick's small group at school. He has some classes/lectures with all the students and others with just his group, called his "seminar". He signed me up to bring an appetizer and I have to tell you, I struggled with this.
I'm particular. I want it to be tastey and memorable. No cheese and crackers for this girl. It's not terribly close so I wanted something that didn't need to be kept warm. So, after digging through my cookbook of favorites, I found my Mexican Layer Dip. My girlfriend/boss taught me her version of this when I lived and worked in Texas. It's been a favorite in my family and I can't believe I didn't think of it sooner. It's been ages since I made it and I'm so glad I did!

Notice the jalapenos on top. I mentioned I'm a Texas girl, right? I do love my jalapenos. I had some ingredients left over so I made a small one for Callie. (No way Alex would eat this) She LOVES this dip.

As you can see, I didn't even get to the final touches before Nick and Callie got into it. She loves her jalapenos as much as I do, so I know she'll be adding some to the rest of this.

Lastly, let me mention football practice. It exhausts me and I'm not the one on the field!  We got in a little late last night so we were late going to bed. Nick is not feeling well at all so he dragged himself to class without awakening our young athlete. By the time I realized this I knew we'd be pressed for time. I get the boy up and get him started, go downstairs to start his breakfast when the doorbell rings. (I'm in athletic shorts, t-shirt and sans make-up...lovely)  It's the maintenance man that I was expecting this afternoon. No worries, I'm nothing if not flexible, so I showed him to my downstairs bathroom with it's loose toilet seat and tissue holder half falling off the wall. This cost me some precious time and Alex is starting to freak. As I'm pouring his beaten eggs into the pan, he says "We don't have time! We have to leave... like NOW"  I assured him I was making a sandwich that he could take on the road. I threw together an egg, bagel, slice of cheese and a piece of bacon and he was a happy boy. Does he think this is my first rodeo?
Saturday practice tomorrow after he does his paper route. I'm tired just thinking about it. Thankfully, his father will be home and can take him back and forth for a change.
Recipe for Mexican Layer Dip
Layer 1: Refried beans with garlic powder and salsa mixed in
Layer 2: Ground beef with taco seasoning mix
Layer 3: Guacamole
Layer 4: Sour cream
Layer 5: Grated cheddar cheese
Layer 6: Sprinkle chives, chopped tomatoes, olives and jalapenos as desired.

3 comments:

JG said...

Oh, yes, this Oklahoma girl LOOOOOOVES jalapeƱos! I need to get that recipe from you sometime. I am in dire need of a cold appetizer, too!

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

Mmmmm - Mexican layer dip! A classic for a reason. Yum.

Anonymous said...

Next time get the fry bread.
It is SO good! If they have honey, it is really good with honey. Cinnamon is a must. Around here the Native American women make it. A lady that works at the school I work at is one of the best. Even when diligently counting my WW points I would not pass up a piece of her fry bread!
lynn from SW

Followers