Monday, April 25, 2011

Spring Through the Dreariness

Tonight it is damp and foggy and there is a definite chill in the air.  For someone who was fed up with nasty, cold weather, I’m almost enjoying this evening’s yuck.
I just spent a few days in Washington DC where the weather was beautiful. I saw budding trees, flowers and lots of blooming shrubs, so, it’s not like I haven’t had a bit of spring. 
I took a few minutes earlier, just as it was getting dark, to walk around my end of the neighborhood. I mentioned before the vacant houses here that have beautiful flowers growing.  I even promised one little bunch of budding tulips that I would be back for them when they flowered. Tonight I fulfilled that promise.  There were only a few, but I got them all. I also found some beautiful big bushes full of yellow blossoms. I took some of those as well.  While I was wandering through looking for some sign of spring, I realized how peaceful it was out there.  The fog is rolling in and the air was quite damp.  The only sounds I could hear were the fog horns in the distance and seagulls squawking as they flew overhead.  I have to admit, I enjoyed it.  Tomorrow I may be moaning and groaning again about the cool weather and wishing for the sun, but tonight I enjoyed my walk in the last minutes of winter.
IMG_1662

It’s really a shame I’m not a better photographer. I’d like to blame it on my cheap, point and shoot camera, but I am afraid it’s probably me.  Hopefully the beauty of these tulips and the wonderful colors will come through. Most of my vases are in storage so these are in a beer glass. Classy, huh?
IMG_1665

I love these yellow sticks. That’s how I would describe them.. sticks covered in  yellow flowers. They certainly brighten my dining room.
IMG_1656

I took this photo as Nick drove us through town yesterday. There are literally fields and fields of these daffodils all around the area. I just love them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your flowers are beautiful, Paula!

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

I'm pretty sure the yellow sticks are forsythia. Mine is blooming right now too - love it!

Kelly said...

Paula - you picked my favorite flower...tulips! They look beautiful.

Followers