Tuesday, March 22, 2011

What a Man, What a Man, What a Mighty Good Man!!

Let me just say that my husband rocks!  Since my surgery on Thursday morning he has been there, right by my side, taking care of me. 

Nick took the day off on Thursday to go to the hospital with me. I was home around noon and all afternoon he brought me food, ice for my foot and whatever else I needed.  Friday he didn’t have class so he was home with me all day again.  I got a home cooked breakfast and lunch, not to mention the delicious dinner he made. All weekend this man has done laundry, cleaned around the house, taken care of the boy and the dogs and most especially, me.

Early Friday morning the numbness wore off my foot. I woke up around 4:30 AM to go to the bathroom and as soon as I dropped my feet over the side of the bed, my incisions started throbbing. I crutched to the bathroom and back and was crying by the time I got back to bed. Bless his heart, Nick got up, got me more ice and a pain pill.  He’s a real trooper.

Our morning routine, since he has had to go back to school has been this:

Alarm goes off, Nick gets up and hits the shower.  He gets me up and helps me down the stairs. He goes back up stairs to bring me all the stuff I might need/want during the day. My glasses, phone, book, magazine, icepack etc.

When he gets home, he makes me lunch and gets me ready for a shower.  In a few hours, after doing his studying, writing papers, picking up the boy from school, etc. he makes dinner.  Last night, he was back upstairs after dinner to finish his own homework and to help Alex with his. Around 9:30 last night, he helped me up the stairs, brought all my stuff up, drugged me and put me to bed. Afterwards he finished up shutting down the house, taking dogs out, and everything that goes along with it to finally fall into bed himself.

I feel so blessed to have a husband that loves me and wants to take care of me. 


Friday night, Nick cooked burgers on the grill (our one nice day so far) and made a delicious dinner. I took this photo before he had finished putting it all on the table. When it was done we had baked beans and corn on the cob as well as delicious burgers.


Saturday, he made some queso dip for snacking.  I caught him working in the kitchen.




Here is what the side table in the living room looks like after Nick leaves in the morning. He has brought the insulated carafe of coffee in for me, my ice water, my book, glasses, phone, calendar and kindle. Oh, and the “oh so important” pain pill, just in case I need it before he gets back home.

What a man.


Bethany said...

Wow!! He's a keeper! Hope you have a speedy recovery :)

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

Yep. He rocks. So glad you have a good support system while you recover.

Jane said...

Lucky you! It almost makes surgery worth it to be spoiled like that, doesn't it? You deserve it! Hope you're back on your feet soon. (Pun intended) :)

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

2 of the best things in life are a good man and a good pain pill ;)
Feel better soon :)

Scatterbrain said...

I'm so glad to hear he is taking good care of you! :) Sounds like he's doing a fantastic job of it too! Hope you have a speedy recovery!