Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Weekly Menu week of 13 Dec

I'm behind. Big surprise! I feel behind a lot lately.  I really struggled with a menu this week. I'm just tired of being in the kitchen. Don't get me wrong, normally I LOVE being in the kitchen, but this small house is challenging to do holiday baking and cooking.
I baked/made candy a LOT on Sunday. I still have more to do :::sigh:::  First, I have to figure out what to feed my family this week.
Yesterday Nick didn't work. What is up with that? He gets two weeks off at Christmas because he's a "student" already. I just don't get much done around the house when he's here. However, we did mail four out of 6 packages yesterday. He was a huge help hauling them to the post office.
I had nothing planned for dinner last night. The commissary here is closed on Monday so I couldn't do heavy shopping. I was going to run down to the closest store and grab something when Nick suggested Hamburger Helper. YUCK! I ate plenty of hamburger helper in my day and I never want to again.  He bought the lovely box the last time he accompanied me to the commissary. I wondered then why! He said, "Oh my kids love it"  Blech.
So, he is digging around the kitchen and says, "Hey, I'll make that Cheeseburger Mac"  I said ok then, I'll have left over potato soup. You and Alex can have the HH.
That's what happened. He cooked up the stuff, opened a can of beans and they had their manly dinner.
The rest of the week is almost as easy. I was going to make a meatloaf tonight, but Alex asked for spaghetti. Why not? It's easier anyway, at least the way I make it with a jar sauce!
Tuesday: Spaghetti, salad, and rolls
Wednesday: Chicken Tacos/Nachos
Thursday: Meatloaf, Mashed Potatoes and Roasted Asparagus
Friday: Callie flies in! She doesn't arrive until around 7:30 PM  so we'll probably eat on the way home.
I'm so excited to see her. She's been stuck in a tiny dorm room for a whole semester without home cooking, without real TV (other than what she can find on her laptap) and without her momma. I think I'll spoil her. She also wants to wrap Christmas gifts. She feels left out of the festivities this year. I am saving them all for her :)
Saturday or Sunday we'll have the Italian Hoagies again. J.D. and his fiance, Meghan, arrive Sunday evening. I think a crockpot full of beefy goodness will be a nice welcome :)
I'm off to the commissary, well, after I shower, clean the kitchen, etc, so my family won't starve tonight or have to suffer through another boxed meal.

3 comments:

Muchelle said...

Yuck! I remember Hamburger Helper days. It's right up there with Ramen Noodles. Back then things where too tight to have taste buds. *lol* Christopher would still eat it if I let it up to him.

Emily said...

I'm no longer a fan of Hamburger Helper either.. it is all my husband eats if left to his own devices, LOL. I want to take up your weekly menu planning routine.. I've been doing it day by day and it takes up so much time!

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

No way on the HH...enough of that kinda stuff when I was in college. Why do kids (and men) actually LIKE that stuff?? We baked snickerdoodles last night and my firstborn was kinda nostalgic...I think she's thinking a little about what it will be like next year when she doesn't actually live here. Me, I'm just going on with life pretending nothing is going to change...if I do that, it won't happen, right?

Followers