Sunday, December 12, 2010

Candied Curried Pecans

Back when my husband was battalion commander, I really had to step up my hostessing skills.  I wanted to be that wife that had people into my home and I wanted it to be fabulous!
The first coffee I hosted for my girls was a salad supper. I made chicken salad with bakery croissants, spinach salad with candied curried pecans, and I bought a fantastic mediterranean orzo salad with sun dried tomatoes from our neighborhood Safeway's deli department. It was a huge hit.
Nick picked at the candied curried pecans so much that I decided they would be great just as a snack. So, for the last two years, I made them and served them in a beautiful crystal dish at my Christmas Open House and my coffee group ornament exchange. (oh how I miss my girls)
I have already made two batches of pecans this year. One was for the spinach salad I took to the Army social potluck on Friday night, the other for gift/goody packages I'm sending to my family.
They smell so good as they are baking low and slow in the oven.
Here is the recipe.

Candied Curried Pecans
(makes three cups)


1 ½ tsp onion powder
1 ½ tsp garlic powder
1 ¼ tsp kosher salt
¾ tsp curry powder
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 Tbsp honey
3 Cups pecan halves

Pre-heat oven to 250*. Line large rimmed baking sheet with foil. Mix numbers 1, 2, 4, 5 and 1 tsp of 3  in small bowl and blend.

Melt butter and honey with remaining ¼ tsp salt in heavy medium sized sauce pan over medium heat. Add pecan halves and stir to coat. Remove from heat. Add spice mixture and toss to coat pecans evenly. Spread pecans in single layer on prepared baking sheet.

Bake pecans until dry and toasted about 40 minutes. Cool completely. Separate pecans.





No comments:

Followers