Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Italian Beeef Hoagies

As the weather continues to get colder, I keep going into "comfort food" mode. I recently bought one of the Goose Berry Patch cookbooks. This one is "Slow Cookers, Casseroles and Skillets"  Right up my alley because I do love the slow cooker, especially with this weather. There is just something about walking into the house and smelling something delicious cooking when it's cold and nasty outside.
This recipe was under the category "Just 5 Ingredients!"  Which is even more up my alley. The simpler, the better is my motto!

Here is the recipe:
Italian Beef Hoagies
Ingredients
3 to 4 lb beef chuck roast
2  .6 oz pkgs zesty Italian salad dressing mix
2 C water
24 oz jar pepperoncinis, drained and liquid reserved
15-18 hoagie rolls, toasted and split
Garnish: shredded provolone cheese
Directions
Slice roast across the grain into 4 pieces and trim any fat. Place in bottom of a slow cooker. Mix together dressing mix and water; pour over beef. Cover and cook on low setting for 8 to 10 hours, until tender; use forks to shred beef in slow cooker. Slice pepperoncinis into rings and add to slow cooker along with reserved liquid from jar. Cover and cook for a few more minutes, until heated through. Serve beef on toasted rolls, topped with cheese. Serves 15 to 18.
**notes**  I cut this recipe in half. I didn't need that many sandwiches. I used about a 1.5 lb roast and one pack of dressing with one cup of water. I used larger rolls to make a big momma sandwich! I also smeared garlic butter on the rolls before I toasted them and used sliced provolone cheese. I didn't add the peppers and juice to the meat, because of my picky eater. I added them just to mine and Nick's sandwiches.
Alex took one bite of his sandwich and said, "This is GOOD!"  Score!  This one is a homerun. I did some oven fries with them and called it a day.

As promised, more photos of my Christmas decor (including a photo of the finished tree)
Ok, I could do better with this photo.. I will take another one and try to include the WHOLE tree.

Fuzzy photo, sorry about that. This is the top of my china cabinet. I love Santas and have several!

I got these cute "skates" at The Christmas Tree Shop.  I love them! I wish I had gotten the mittens too. Live and learn. There is a Hawaiian Christmas Gecko next to them :)

Tonight is a playoff game for Alex's football team. Oy, as if the season wasn't long enough. Nick and I are working the concession stand. I figure it's warmer to be up moving around than sitting on concrete bleachers. If we win tonight there is one more game on Saturday, otherwise we're finished. I'm torn about how I want this to end!

3 comments:

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

How funny - I just bought all the ingredients for that recipe yesterday. We must be in the same mood. :)

Love your tree - very festive.

Kathryn said...

I love the slow cooker, too! And only 5 ingredients? I'm there! Those sound delish. Your house looks adorable, by the way- I love the holiday season!

Muchelle said...

I'm adding this to next week's menu. I'm freezing and the slow cooker makes the house smell cozy warm. Your home looks beautiful.

Followers